Thursday, April 7, 2011

ROYAL FERNS

This is a first find for me. I found these growing along the highway near a swampy area. They were about 6 feet tall and simply beautiful. They are in the Osmunda family and grow in huge colonies usually in water. The heads in the top are the spore bearing parts of the fern. They have a light and airy appearance, not being so dense like most ferns. I identified this fern from a book that belonged to my grandfather who lived in Mississippi. He would search the woods for roots and barks to sell to drug stores for making medicines. The book is "Who's Who Among the Wildflowers, Ferns and Medicinal Plants". It was written by W. I. Beecroft and was published in 1910. He had written notes inside on the pictures as to what each plant was used for. I guess that may be where I got my love of the woods and plants. It is a real treasure to me and I use it often identifying plants.
Click on the top picture and see how unique te spore heads are.

1 comment:

Merry said...

i remember seeing these along roads in mississippi!

Total Pageviews