Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Zebra Swallowtail



I came upon this beauty as I took a walk today, lucky for me I had my camera (I never leave home without it!)


The Zebra is a member of the Kite Swallowtails. There are 140 species of Kites but the Zebra is the only one found in North America. They are identified by their exceptionally long tails. They have really short tongues unlike most other butterflies. Their favorite flowers are lantana, dogbane and blackberry.


"And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them, ...13 "And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, 14 And the vulture, and the kite, after his kind:"


Leviticus 11:1, 13-14.

No comments:

Total Pageviews