Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wahoo Bush


Member of Atropurpurea Family
Blooms: April - June
Seed pods appear: September & October.
I have been searching for this plant for a long time. It is native to Texas and is wild. It is very unique and quite showy. In April - June is has purple blooms and then in early fall it produces these orange-red prickly pods which burst open and have bright red seeds. It is also called a Strawberry Bush or Burning Bush.
Wahoo bushes love shady, rich places in woodlands and can grow up to 20 ft. tall. Each red seed that drops to the ground produces another plant in spring.
Our family plays a game called Wahoo, which is great fun. Don't know what the connection of name is, but so happy I found this one. I now have one in my garden.
"And the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. He looked, and behold, the bush was burning, yet the it was not consumed. And Moses said, I will turn aside to see this great sight, why the bush is not burned. When the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, GOD called to him out of the bush, Moses, Moses, And he said Here I AM."
Exodus 3:2-4

No comments:

Total Pageviews