Thursday, September 10, 2009

Silver-Spotted Skipper Butterfly


Skipper butterflies are small to medium orange or black in color. They have short, hooked, clubbed antennae, relatively stout bodies, and short wings. They hold their wings open when at rest.
This Silver-Spotted Skipper is the first one I have seen. He is about 2-2 1/2" in size. He is a very dark brown and has a metallic silver patch on the underside of each hindwing and a transparent gold patch on each forewing. They are usually found in open areas in most parts of the United States and in Canada. The adults like to feed on nectar of milkweeds, dogbane, thistles and lantana. Click for closer look at this fancy little thing---------really pretty.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."
Psalms 19:14

No comments:

Total Pageviews