Monday, June 2, 2014

Whorled Milkweed (Asclepias verticillata)


There are over 140 species of milkweeds, this one is rare in northeast Texas. Some areas of eastern parts say it is endangered. This is the only one I have found in my 30+ years of wildflower research and its just across the road from my home! They grow at wood's edge in partial shade and reach about 3 ft. tall. Long stems with tiny slender leaves and having small balls of tiny white flowers. Its genus was named by botanist Carl Linnaeus after the Greek god Asclepius, god of healing. Like other milkweeds, it has a milky, sticky, rubbery juice that come out if a stem is broken. This white juice contains latex and alkaloids. The Monarch and Swallowtails are attracted to this as they are the other milkweeds.

Whorled Milkweeds are toxic to most small mammals and insects except for certain species of butterflies. Through GOD'S plan animals know to leave these species alone as they are toxic and
cause severe vomiting and often death.
(*bottom photo was taken from a website as the rain ruined the tiny flowers of the ones I took earlier). Ok, more rain means more flowers :)

"In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me."
Psalm 86:7 KJV

No comments:

Total Pageviews