Monday, August 31, 2009

Four O'Clocks







These flowers have been around as long as I can remember. They are so beautiful and have such a wonderful fragrance. My Mother had them when I was growing up and my Grandmother had them also.

Their colors are magenta, yellow, light lavender and white. The blooms open late in the afternoon around "4:00" and stay open until about 10:00 this next morning. I have even seen them mix and some flowers would be 2 different colors, striped.
Once they get established, you can't kill them, they just keep growing and spreading and coming back each year. They have a very large tuber as their root system. Bees and butterflies love them and often feed on their sweet nectar.
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of GOD: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2:8-9

1 comment:

Merry said...

have not seen yellow ones! i have the hot pink (magenta?) ones. i think the birds planted them. they just came up volunteer about 5years ago and have spread around my yard. this year has not been kind to them, though. they're not as thick and have bloomed very little. :(

Total Pageviews